A native of Fenghua, Zhejiang, Mao Chi-kuo has a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from National Cheng Kung University and a Ph.D. in transportation management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was minister of transportation and communications, Executive Yuan advisor and vice premier before serving as premier from December 2014 through February 2016.
- 2014.12.31The Executive Yuan establishes the Innovation and Startups Taskforce. In the following months, it successively approves the draft of the Act Governing Electronic Payment Institutions as well as draft amendments to the Company Act (specifically regarding “close companies”) and the Limited Partnership Act.
- 2015.06.03The Long-term Care Services Act is promulgated by the president; it will be implemented two years after promulgation.
- 2015.06.16The Executive Yuan launches a board to coordinate measures concerning new immigrants.
- 2015.07.01The Greenhouse Gas Reduction and Management Act is promulgated and implemented.
- 2015.07.21The Executive Yuan approves a financial restructuring plan for Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp.
- 2015.09.17The Executive Yuan approves the Productivity 4.0 plan.
- 2015.10.13The Executive Yuan approves a white paper about Taiwan’s graying population.
- 2015.11.16The Executive Yuan approves the country’s Intended Nationally Determined Contribution for greenhouse gas reduction.
- 2015.12.20Taiwan welcomes the 10 millionth visitor of the year to the country, a milestone for its tourism development.
- 2016.01.01An integrated land and housing tax system is implemented.